Alan Smith CV
My Name is Alan Smith CV, I am a Master's Thesis student I am a Masters student at Kno.e.sis center, College of Engineering and Computer Science, Wright State University. Kno.e.sis Center is recognized as Ohio Center of Excellence in Knowledge Enabled Computing, is ranked significantly by Microsoft in the World Wide Web Domain. I am advised by Dr. Amit P. Sheth, Lexis Nexis Ohio Eminent Scholar.
PREDOSE-PREscription Drug abuse Online Surveillance and EpidemiologyJuly 2012 - present
Currently the lead developer and a researcher for the PREDOSE project, a platform designed to automate extraction of semantic information from unstructured text related to the illicit use of pharmaceutical opioids.
For details, please visit: http://wiki.knoesis.org/index.php/PREDOSE
To view, please visit: http://knoesis-hpco.cs.wright.edu/predose  (login credentials available upon request)
TwitrisJuly 2010 - December 2012
Lead developer of Twitris, a web application that facilitates understanding of social perceptions by Semantics-based processing of event-centric data. It addresses challenges in large-scale processing of social data while leveraging spatial, temporal, and thematic properties.
For details, please visit: http://knoesis.org/projects/twitris
To view, please visit: http://twitris.knoesis.org
SCOONER-Semantically COnnecting Objects through Named Entity RecognitionMay 2010 - July 2011
Lead developer and a researcher on the Scooner project, which is a discovery support system for knowledge-driven biomedical text exploration. Currently in use by biological research scientists at Wright Patterson’s Air Force Research Lab, Scooner provides enhancements to the National Library of Medicine’s MEDLINE index by annotating recognized entities in Abstracts and allowing users to browse implicit links to other semantically related documents.
For details, please visit: http://knoesis.org/projects/scooner
For a demo, please visit: http://archive.knoesis.org/librarydemos/scooner-demo
To view, please visit:http://knoesis-hpco.cs.wright.edu/scooner (login credentials available upon request)
1. D. Cameron, A. P. Sheth, N. Jaykumar, G. Anand, K. Thirunarayan, G. A. Smith. A Hybrid Approach to
Finding Relevant Social Media Content for Complex Domain Specific Information Needs. (Under Review).
2. D. Cameron, G. A. Smith, R. Daniulaityte, A. P. Sheth, D. Dave, L. Chen, G. Anand, R. Carlson, K. Z. Watkins, R. Falck, PREDOSE: A Semantic Web Platform for Drug Abuse Epidemiology using Social Media. Journal of Biomedical Informatics: Special Issue on Biomedical Information through the Implementation of Social Media Environments. 2013. PMID: 23892295. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2013.07.007
3. Amit Sheth, Ashutosh Jadhav, Pavan Kapanipathi, Chen Lu, Hemant Purohit, Gary Alan Smith, Wenbo Wang. Twitris- a System for Collective Social Intelligence. Encyclopedia of Social Network Analysis and Mining (ESNAM), 2013, Springer, Eds Reda Alhajj, Jon Rokne
4. Pramod Anantharam, Alan Smith, Josh Pschorr, Krishnaprasad Thirunarayan, and Amit Sheth, Demonstration: Dynamic Sensor Registration and Semantic Processing for ad-hoc MOBile Environments (SemMOB), In: Proceedings of 5th International Workshop on Semantic Sensor Networks 2012 (SSN 2012), co-located with the 11th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2012), pp. 127–130, Boston, USA, 2012.
5. A. Smith, A. Sheth, A. Jadhav, H. Purohit, L. Chen, M. Cooney, P. Kapanipathi, P. Anantharam, P. Koneru and W. Wang. Twitris+: Social Media Analytics Platform for Effective Coordination. NSF SoCS Symposium, 2012.
6. R. Kavuluru, C. Thomas, A. Sheth, V. Chan, W. Wang, A. Smith, A. Sato and A. Walters. An Up-to-date Knowledge-Based Literature Search and Exploration Framework for Focused Bioscience Domains. IHI 2012 - 2nd ACM SIGHIT International Health Informatics Symposium, January 28-30, 2012.
7. A. Jadhav, H. Purohit, P. Kapanipathi, P. Ananthram, A. Ranabahu, V. Nguyen, P. Mendes, A. Smith, M. Cooney, A. Sheth Twitris 2.0: Semantically Empowered System for Understanding Perceptions From Social Data , ISWC 2010 Semantic Web Application Challenge.
Systems Programming: Java (incl. Android), C/C++, RPG-IV
Web (Server-side): Java Servlets, JSP, PHP, ASP.NET, RPG/CGIDEV2
Other: Regular Expressions, SQL
Intermediate with: Scheme, Python, Ruby, Perl, Shell
Database/Indexing: MySQL, IBM DB2, Apache Lucene
Operating Systems: Linux, UNIX, Microsoft Windows, IBM i5/OS
Server Administration: Apache HTTPd, Apache Tomcat, Apache Hadoop, MySQL, SSHd, OpenStack, Nagios, Graphite
Development Tools: NetBeans, Eclipse, RPGsp, vim, git, svn
Kno.e.sis - Ohio Center of Excellence in Knowledge-enabled ComputingGraduate Research Assistant
May 2010 - Present
• Currently researching and developing new ways in which background knowledge and semantic information can be leveraged for uncovering new knowledge in the biomedical and social media domains
IBM Almaden Research CenterResearch Intern
San Jose, CA
May 2013 - August 2013
• Designed and implemented a policy-based resource monitoring and allocation framework for auto-scaling of disparate flow-based analytic pipelines
• Designed and implemented a dynamic, web-based visual server health monitoring solution
Kno.e.sis - Ohio Center of Excellence in Knowledge-enabled ComputingUndergraduate Research Assistant and Semantic/Social Web Developer
May 2010 - June 2012
• Student Employee of the Year Nominee
• Developed Semantic and Social Web applications
Profound Logic Software, Inc.Midrange Server Web Application Developer
November 2007 - June 2010
• Product development: Browser-based IDE for IBM System i application modernization
• Lead developer and maintainer of the company’s customer relationship management, accounting, mass-mailing, snail-mailing, and lead nurturing systems
Personal Interest/Open Source Development
CyanogenMod- Contributed patches for new features to CyanogenMod, an open source, customized aftermarket Android OS distribution.
Amit Sheth (Advisor)
Director, Kno.e.sis Center, Wright State University
Professor, Wright State University
Research Scientist, Samsung Information Systems America
San Jose, CA